Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Twenty-first Century Skills

     One of the advantages of exploring a website like www.p21.org is that the browser (human) can find innumerable resources for helping students and teachers adapt to twenty-first century learning.  Among the first links I discovered while looking through the interdisciplinary theme of “global awareness” was a partnership at a nearby university that is promoting K-12 international education in North Carolina. A heat map on the site provides demographic information on the international presence (residents and companies) in each of the state’s counties.  Thus, in a matter of minutes I learned about global initiatives in the state, as well as facts that might be useful in a civics class.  I continued to find much that I agreed with as I explored the other themes, learning and innovation skills (creativity/innovation, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration), information technology and media skills, and life and career skills enumerated on the site.  The section on creativity had some of the most wide-ranging resources, while the critical thinking section included links to some impressive science lessons at Learn NC.  As a group, these 21st-century student outcomes are standards that I (a pre-service teacher) will have to digest gradually and then adapt to my specific teaching situation and student population.  “The proof of the pudding is in the eating,” goes the saying. 

     It was precisely while I was thinking about how I could incorporate these guidelines into the classroom that some questions arose.  The interdisciplinary themes are important—the aforementioned global awareness, as well as financial/economic, civic, health, and environmental literacies—and yet there seemed to be an emphasis on teaching personal responsibility, with little attention to critically analyzing systems (healthcare, educational, environmental).  How would a teacher prioritize these important themes, or resolve potential “conflicts of interest” among these desired outcomes? (For example, a global initiative that is perceived as competition for a local economy, or a solution to an environmental problem that is considered burdensome to business.) By encouraging students to think creatively, teachers can support using a variety of learning styles (a positive); yet I wonder if the sheer volume (“glut”) of possibilities actually may stifle creativity.  In addition, must creativity necessarily be “maximized” and “implemented”?

     While I am a firm believer in critical thinking, I wonder to what extent I can encourage students to entertain alternative points of view—particularly on “sensitive” topics like politics and socioeconomic class—without myself becoming a lightning rod for criticism.  Communication and collaboration are more important than ever; here is just one example of what a goal-oriented online community recently accomplished.  However, I wonder if the links offered in the IT skills section of the site would truly encourage critical evaluation of the media that pervade our lives.  Shouldn't this article be part of the discussion as well?  Although I did not grow up in the digital era, I have benefitted incalculably from now having much greater access to information.  Nonetheless, I find it a challenge to filter and evaluate some of what I read; I wonder how challenging it will be to help students do the same.

     Although I agree with the necessity of the various life and career skills mentioned, I found that section depressingly utilitarian.  "Respect" and "responsibility" are important, but so are "empathy", "generosity", and "curiosity"--as ends in themselves.




5 comments:

  1. Wow, very informative! I like how you added links to your text to make it easier to navigate. You made the blog personal by sharing your unique experiences-Makes it interesting to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information Debbie. I too, like Diana, like that you incorporated links throughout so that the reader could become more connected to what you were saying and explore these various websites on their own.
    I like your challenging question about the IT links and critical thinking. Is the amount of information we are able to get our hands on creating future generations who are not able to think through things in a critical manner but rather take the easier path to simply look something up online.
    I immediately thought about the State Farm Insurance commercial where the lady says she read about something "on the web" and how they can't put anything that "isn't true on the web". Are we short changing future generations by making information - whether true or false - so accessible?
    I definitely think there is a huge benefit to technology and learning but also wonder if there is too much out there to sift through and so people just click on the first thing that pops up and take that as the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    Lots to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,

    I really enjoyed reading about your experience exploring p21.org. I also visited the site and found it to be very informative. I did not, however, see the section on global awareness and the heat map so I was glad to read about those highlights in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was struck by your ending remark about utilitarian job skills. Where is the love of learning? There is so much learning that is not easily quantifiable on assessments, or easily put on a resume. The educational system does not seem to reward curiosity or creative thinking much. It talks about it, but not reward it, really. Too many boxes for a student to fit into to really accommodate thinking out of the box, perhaps.

    --Joy (who is having a hard time signing in to comment anywhere)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments! I think we are all learning in the first week of class that the informational and technical options are almost endless. All the more reason to keep a critical eye out.

    ReplyDelete